Skip to main content

Nature is My Healer

 We can't stop the rain here in Upstate, NY. However, we can adapt to it. I'm learning, if I apply the same mentality that I have all winter, my internal dialogue reads: "this is a time to enjoy the crisp, breathable air," "run through the snow, they made crampons for a reason," "cross country skiing is fun and relaxing at the same time, bring your phone and play your favorite music." I start with these ideas, and then I just go. I put on the coat, and the boots, and the gloves, and I go. Later on, when I come home, I am satisfied and fulfilled. 

See, my Native roots keep me close to nature. Right now, as a person who works remote, and runs a business from home, I am finding that getting outside has become essential. That being said, I went for my 5 mile trail run this morning, (after like 5 months, not bragging). After I dropped my son off at school. I didn't just go for a run. It was raining, it was cold, I had a million really great excuses why I shouldn't go, but something in my inner kept telling me to just lace up and get out there. I even bought myself a new cute running jacket, athletic gear always motivates me. 

So, I set my alarm for 7, enough time to down a couple of cups of pumpkin spice coffee, while watching NewsMax. Pinned some motivation/aspiration pins on Pinterest, and went up to get my son ready for the day. We set off at about twenty after, and the most interesting thing happened - I realized that I enjoyed the raindrops dripping on my skin. I actually took my hair down and let the droplets just fall on it, maybe why it is so soft now. I saw the trees swaying in the neighbors yards, and I admired the orange and red foliage surrounding me. I cautiously watched for snakes and butternuts. The snakes are fine - I just don't like them, but I did sprain my ankle on a butternut about one week ago. So, lesson learned - beware of butternuts - on your trail run through the forest full of twists and turns and critters unknown. The butternuts will take you down.

-Ashley Oliver



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What My Parents Told Me

 My Parents told me not to play outside,          and I did it anyway My Parents told me not to sing the national-anthem at the high school basketball game,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to divorce the sorry loser,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to go to University,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to start the business,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to learn to play the instruments,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to paint the portraits,         and I did it anyway My parents told me not to become a millionaire,           and I did it anyway My parents told me to get the vaccine,          and I didn't   ...

Feel the night air in Perfect darkness babe

I was finally able to sleep. Water + Music are my salvation. Who knew there was something better than alcohol. And, I woke up at 10 without a hangover, that's pretty cool. I give last night a 7/10. To get those last 3 points up I would like to sleep through 1-3AM. My favorite song today is ' Perfect Darkness ' by Fink. I looked up the lyrics because it is literally so good at grounding me. "Keep those brown eyes wide open for a for this moment we own for now. And everything we gonna do we do it. See the black clouds fall out of fear Feel it rise up in perfect darkness. Perfect darkness is all I can see. Deep water stay under. See it rolling over you head and just roll with it until it's all good yeah. Deep water a little deeper then you thought feel it going over the edge and just go with it until it's all good yeah. Compass points out in all directions. From this moment we over now . With everything we do we gonna do it . And everything we do...