Skip to main content

Insomnia, where did you go?

Learning how to navigate ones mind is exhausting, tricky, challenging, painful, and best of all - rewarding. I haven't had a sleepless night in weeks. Apparently reading books cover to cover is actually as exhausting as it seems. I'm not sure why I've been fearful to open up my mind. I had to do a lot of work in other areas of my life. I realized back in December that something about my actual thought process had to change. It never had anything to do with anything that I learned how to do. It has always been about deeper understanding.

I once entertained the thought of becoming an Aeronautical Engineer. I loved being an SE for a local company and being responsible for ground communication between the radar systems and the aircraft just wasn't enough. I was hungry to know how the plane flew. I still wonder, and I have gravitated towards physics with an uncanny thirst for knowledge. It's just not enough for me anymore to only understand what's on the surface, I'm interested in what's under the hood. One thing has never changed - I never stop until I get the answer. Even then, I triple check to make sure the answer is right.

I don't know why I do the latter. I often ask questions that I already know the answer to. Perhaps after all of these years I've gotten used to second-guessing. Again, I don't know why. I remember when I was selected as the first female candidate to receive an invitation to Cisco's CALO CO-Op program. It was a big deal to help make Syracuse University stand out amongst other technical competitors, RIT, RPI, MIT. While I was super stoked to take on this opportunity - I remember, this is when things changed. My male counterparts weren't thrilled to see me earn my spot. In fact, most of them openly told me they thought I couldn't do it. Even an occasional female peer would stand up in class and say "how does she know anything."

The way that I carry myself. The way that I look. I've never tried to fit in before, I never cared. In fact, I have always wanted to look like a Victoria's Secret Model. Knowledge came natural to me, but that dream body always seemed unachievable - that's what I was worried about. Meanwhile, I unfortunately received negative attention from peers and other engineers. Why? Because I am different.

On the bright side, I can say now that I did try to fit in. I wore the fancy watch, drove the BMW, maintained a wardrobe strictly of blazers and slacks, always managed an 80$ haircut. But on the inside, I never felt complete.

I used to feel complete when I put my hair up in a bun on top of my head in the lab and went to work on STP, or VTP, or PVDM upgrades, hot swapping, changing modules, managing chassis, racking, mounting, deploying scripts, creating my own VPN configs (so I didn't have to come into the office). And then I grew once more - I taught myself Network Security, with the help of a few good friends of course. It took only one person to believe in me, and I knew I was passionate and wanted to learn everything. I became a Palo Alto, Fortinet, Cisco, Juniper, and Checkpoint SME - in under a year.

But the current challenge, obtaining my CISSP - this is by far the scariest thing I  have ever done. Especially considering that I've failed it once after a year of prep. I am learning through applying that same fearless prep that I did all of those years ago. Reading the books, without immediate reward. Reminding myself that I truly love this field and the idea of using my talent to protect individuals, and ultimately children. The thought of putting 'Dr.' before my name.

A thought that just came to mind was the InfoSec Assessment I had to take in June just to be considered for a job. Of course, I didn't want to do it. But I challenged myself. The questions were almost identical to the questions on the exam, especially the way they are asked. What is the BEST way to solve this problem; then all of the answers are correct.

I thought a little deeper this time though. Instead of thinking about what I read in the book, I thought about what I have done on the job. I remember being responsible if a system experienced a breach, handling the next steps, freezes, migrations, deployments, architectural design. Although it doesn't seem that way now, because I'm not doing it every day. The knowledge is still there. I answered the questions as if it were real-life.

In under 25 minutes I received a call after completing the test. The recruiter was ecstatic and told me I scored very well. I was shocked, and excited. It's been a while since I've been told that. Always trust your instincts, go with the gut feeling, combine logic with reason, and follow through to the end. (Even if halfway through you damn the test to hell and decide a workout would be better). I can do this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What My Parents Told Me

 My Parents told me not to play outside,          and I did it anyway My Parents told me not to sing the national-anthem at the high school basketball game,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to divorce the sorry loser,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to go to University,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to start the business,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to learn to play the instruments,          and I did it anyway My parents told me not to paint the portraits,         and I did it anyway My parents told me not to become a millionaire,           and I did it anyway My parents told me to get the vaccine,          and I didn't   ...

Feel the night air in Perfect darkness babe

I was finally able to sleep. Water + Music are my salvation. Who knew there was something better than alcohol. And, I woke up at 10 without a hangover, that's pretty cool. I give last night a 7/10. To get those last 3 points up I would like to sleep through 1-3AM. My favorite song today is ' Perfect Darkness ' by Fink. I looked up the lyrics because it is literally so good at grounding me. "Keep those brown eyes wide open for a for this moment we own for now. And everything we gonna do we do it. See the black clouds fall out of fear Feel it rise up in perfect darkness. Perfect darkness is all I can see. Deep water stay under. See it rolling over you head and just roll with it until it's all good yeah. Deep water a little deeper then you thought feel it going over the edge and just go with it until it's all good yeah. Compass points out in all directions. From this moment we over now . With everything we do we gonna do it . And everything we do...

The Beheaded Goddess

It's March 2020. I've not posted on here since September of last year. Needless to say, after reviewing my last post, 3/4 of that spew actually happened. Maybe I do have patience . As a stubborn and impatient Sagittarius - I find it a little bit difficult to wait for what I want, especially considering my literal daily efforts. Not a day goes by that I don't work on my craft. The same goes for living a spiritual life while balancing day to day business matters. I always give in to the voice in my head that tells me to offer the man on the street food, or to leave a dollar at the toll for the next person. It's really interesting when I behave this way especially on days where I am tested - to say the least. I've learned to walk like I have 1,000 little children behind me, following in my footsteps, learning from me. I have a responsibility, and it's very important to me that I walk the same way that I talk. Meanwhile I am thinking about posting more here about ...